Saturday, May 19, 2012

Spring onion


  • Chop up a big bunch of spring onions, keeping the white and green separatish.
  • Melt some butter in a pan on a lowish heat and add the whites.
  • When they've become translucent, add the green and some garlic and let it all soften. 
  • Keep it going for fifteen minutes or so.
  • Season, add a little water, then whiz.
  • You may want to add some milk or cream, but I did not.
  • Serve with the crunchiest bread you can find.

What did it taste like? Sweet and creamy, even without cream. I served with a toasted country baguette without butter (and you know how I feel about butter).

Tip: Don't let anything brown.Taste your onions before whizzing to make sure you've cooked off any raw flavours.


4 comments:

  1. Just made this soup. Very easy to make - probably the simplest of the series so fat, and the result was delicious. I made this without milk or cream, and none was necessary as it had its own creamy texture. A big success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I too found it creamy without cream! Glad it was a success. What bread did you have with it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't have any bread with it, as I made it too late to be able to go out and buy any bread. So I just ate it with a spoon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are wise beyond your years, David.

    ReplyDelete