- Get oil very very hot. Throw in some fenugreek and black mustard seeds. They should sizzle profusely.
- When your kitchen smells like a curry house, turn down the heat and add sliced onion.
- Add a spoon of turmeric and a smidge of hot chili powder. If you didn't have any of the above mentioned seeds, add some ground cumin and ground coriander. Even if you did, you could live dangerously and add the ground stuff anyway.
- Mix it up like an over-enthusiastic TV chef, then add roughly chopped potato and parsnip.
- Cover with stock, bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and let bubble til the vegetables have lost the will to live (about twenty minutes).
- Season and whizz. Add a knob of butter and blame it on me.
What did it taste like? Rooty and sweet and perfectly spicy.
Tip: Go for a teaspoon per spice per person, except for the chili powder, you will probably need less.